Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Choose What Matters

Hello readers!  I know it has been a LONG time since you have heard from me.  It's been busy and honestly I just haven't had anything I felt was that interesting to share.  But two books that I read recently have sparked some thoughts and have given me the desire to blog again.

The first book that gave me some inspiration, was Meet Me In The Middle-Becoming An Accomplished Middle Level Teacher by Rick Wormeli.  While reading about how I can be a better teacher and help foster student learning, I decided to take some of Wormeli's advice for my personal life.  He talked about the importance of writing and how that helps students process and retain information.  This had me thinking, that maybe I needed to blog again. Instead of letting my thoughts roam, I'll write them down to help make sense of all the crazy ideas that occupy valuable brain space.

The second book, gave me an idea of what to write about.  In The Secret Life of Bees, by Sue Monk Kidd, the character August Boatwright states "The whole problem with people is they know what matters, but they don't choose it.  The hardest thing on earth is choosing what matters."

This statement immediately resonated with me.  After giving it some thought, I decided that this is absolutely true.  I think we all know what is the correct thing to do in any situation we encounter.  Unfortunately, it can be extremely hard to choose the best option.  We all fight mini battles with ourselves everyday, probably multiple times a day, complete with the devil and angel on each shoulder putting in their two cents.  Should I watch TV or go for a walk?  Have the last say in an argument or let it rest?  Wash the dishes or leave them in the sink until tomorrow for someone else to clean?  In regards to my classroom and students, talk to the person next to me all class or participate in the lesson?  I think the problem that many of us face is we only look at these options as "good or bad" or "right or wrong".    We are creatures that can be easily tempted.  If we think the "wrong" option might be more satisfying at the time or maybe we think we can get away with something, we may be persuaded into taking that option.  However, just like I believe no child comes to school planning ways he/she can get into trouble, I think we all want to do the right thing and choose what matters.  Unfortunately, we get distracted by many obstacles and temptations.  But this quote gives me hope.  I think if we start thinking about what matters instead of what is "right and wrong" we will have a better chance of choosing wisely.  We all want to make a positive impact in this world.  We all want to make a difference.  We all know what matters. So next time you are faced with a decision, ask yourself which choice matters.

Also, happy summer!  Hopefully, now that school is out I will have more time and more inspiration to blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment