Wednesday, April 23, 2014

The Journey Continues

As the end of my first year of teaching is nearing, I look back on all that I have learned and all of the confidence I have gained.  I "feel" like a teacher unlike that first week of school when I still felt like a college student trying to earn my way into the classroom to make a positive impact on my students.  I feel like I belong and have a purpose each day I go to work.  It has been a big learning curve and there have been both triumphs and failures, but that is what makes teaching exciting.  I can gain confidence and become more of an expert everyday, but at the same time I will always be a student continuing to grow.

With that being said, I get to keep "learning" next year by semi-starting over again.  Instead of continuing to learn from my successes and set-backs at the high school level, next year I will begin again by teaching 8th grade math, still in the Anamosa Community School District.  I have mixed emotions about the change, but overall I am excited and I am looking forward to the change.  I have always seen myself teaching at the middle school level and when I heard about this opportunity I could not pass up the chance to follow my dreams.  It was a tough decision because I have gotten to know many of my students and colleagues well, and it will be hard to leave that community of people.  However, it is comforting to know that they will be just down the street.  And, I will get to grow my learning network by meeting more wonderful educators and students at AMS.

To add to the excitement, I will also be coaching Junior High volleyball!  I am really excited for this opportunity and avenue to get to know some of my students outside of the classroom.

Our journey is never complete.  Don't let fear interfere with your journey and keep you from growing as an individual.

3 comments: